– Focus on the different types of decking
– Option 1: Create a wood deck
– Option 2: Create a concrete deck
– Option 3: Tile your deck
– Option 4: Make a stone deck
As a link between the garden and the house, the deck becomes a living space in its own right when the weather is fine. It is well-designed and fitted out and becomes a much-appreciated space for relaxation during the day and in the evening.
There are many ways to create a terrace at home. This post explores the many possibilities available to you to build a deck that is pleasant to live on and that suits you.
Focus on the different types of decking
You can choose from a variety of decking materials: wood, concrete, tile, or stone. Each of these materials has its advantages and disadvantages. It’s up to you to choose the one that suits you best.
– Certainly the most popular, it is very aesthetic, modern and warm.
– However, it requires regular maintenance to keep its shine and not deteriorate over time.
– You can install it on joists, on adjustable posts, or stilts.
The concrete terrace
– Resistant over time, concrete may seem less warm than wood. However, there are a large number of finishes that allow you to play with the aesthetics.
– Concrete is easy to maintain. A simple cleaning with a high-pressure cleaner is enough to give it a nice look.
– The installation, done with care and method, is a guarantee of durability over time.
The tiled terrace
– The multitude of colors and finishes available make it a beautiful material.
– The ease of maintenance is an additional argument.
– On the other hand, a tiled terrace can be slippery and not very resistant to shocks.
The stone terrace
– A natural material, stone gives a very authentic look to a terrace.
– It is very durable over time but still requires annual cleaning.
Solution 1: Create a wood deck
Wood is the material that offers the most possibilities in terms of installation. The choice depends on the nature of the floor, your skills, and the desired look.
Option 1: the deck on stilts
Warning: this type of installation is not for everyone. If you want to build a deck on stilts, wood is the ideal material.
Here are the main steps to build a deck on stilts.
Make an accurate deck plan by noting the deck’s dimensions and calculating the number of support posts and the number of wood boards.
– Dig and build the deck’s foundation.
– Prepare the support posts.
– Attach the deck support structure.
– Install the wood boards.
Option 2: decking on joists
This option is ideal if you have a concrete deck that you want to cover with wood for a warmer look.
Good to know: you can also pour a concrete slab if it does not exist.
Here are the guidelines for installing a deck on joists.
– Determine the dimensions of the joists according to the surface to be covered, then cut them.
– Drill and fasten the joists into the concrete.
– Lay the rows of deck boards on the joists.
– Finish the deck.
Option 3: decking on blocks
The decking on blocks is also installed on a concrete slab. The use of blocks avoids having to fix the wooden joists directly into the slab.
You can install a deck made of wood strips or slabs on blocks.
– Laying a deck made of wood strips on studs:
◦ Determine the deck’s dimensions and calculate the quantities of materials needed: joists, deck boards, studs.
◦ Lay out the plots on the ground.
◦ Cut the joists and lay them on the studs.
◦ Lay the deck boards and make the finishing touches.
– Laying a deck of wood slabs on studs:
◦ Calculate the materials needed.
◦ Lay the slabs and the studs as they overlap.
◦ Do the finishing touches.
Good to know: accessible to beginners, installing wood slabs on studs is a quick and easy solution.
This post will continue in part 2. Follow us!