Are you planning to build a house? The first thing to do is to find the right land and check if it is buildable or not. So, without further ado, let’s dive into this blog and learn some of the things you need to know about building a home.

Consult the PLU


To check if a plot of land is buildable or not, refer to the PLU or local urbanism plan. It is a document that lists the zones that can be built on and those that cannot. Be aware that this classification may change over time. It also provides information on the obligations and rules to be respected during a construction project. You will also find the destination of the soil. If the PLU is not available at the town hall, consult the POS or land use plan instead.

There are several ways to consult the PLU. For example, you can call the town hall’s urban planning department by telephone. Sending an e-mail to your town hall to obtain a dematerialized version of the PLU is also an interesting solution. To access the local urban plan, going directly to the town hall is appreciated. However, you should only go during office hours. If you have an internet connection, the information on the PLU is available on the website of your town hall. You only have to download the documents you need afterwards.

The PLU includes 4 different construction zones, such as the urban zone or U zone. It is intended for the construction of dwellings. As for the zone to be urbanized or AU zone, its development is reserved for the commune. As for the agricultural zone, or zone A, it is reserved for the construction of buildings in the agricultural sector. As for the natural and forest zones or N zones, they are not buildable. However, they are to be protected.

In addition to the town planning certificate, it is in your interest to consult the operational certificate. Asking for it allows you to know if a particular piece of land can be used for construction purposes. The document lists the state of the existing public facilities or those in the process of being installed: electrical networks, access to gas and water, drainage networks, etc.

To obtain it, send your request to the town hall of the municipality on which the land depends. Please note that the operational certificate is valid for a period of 18 months.

Requesting an urban planning certificate

To find out what planning regulations apply to your land, ask for a planning certificate from the town hall. On the one hand, there is the information certificate which defines the list of taxes, the administrative constraints related to the right of ownership as well as the situation of the land. On the other hand, there is the operational certificate. It includes the terms and conditions for connecting the land to the various available networks. It also provides information on the feasibility or not of your project.

Refer to the land registry


The cadastre is another document that allows you to check if a plot of land is buildable or not. It includes information on the zone in which the plot of land is located as well as the boundaries of your land. To do this, go directly to the town hall or consult the official government website. To obtain information about the cadastre, you can also send a letter to your town hall. Don’t forget to indicate the location of the land, the name of the town and your contact information.

Sound off in the comments section below, and tell us what you want to read next and if you want to read more about building a home.